Skip to content

Bullshit Mountain

Jon Stewart on Fox News defending Romney’s video comments calling 47% of Americans “freeloaders”:

I know they believe that the best defense is a (good?) offense, but um, seriously? “This is factually accurate, what Romney is saying.” ??? “I don’t understand what the controversy is. I think Mr. Romney should campaign on this point.” ??? “If I’m governor Romney, I run with this all day long!” ??? “It was the truth!” ??? “He’s a boss who says the truth, but the truth often hurts.” ??? “I think this will be seen as a win for Romney.”

It appears that Romney has the decency to not actually believe his own bullshit. But Fox News?



  1. Tim Barr wrote:

    The clip I viewed had multiple overlapping soundtracks. After the video had finished, the single “real” soundtrack became audible. Did Faux News somehow find a way to sabotage this clip?

    Friday, September 21, 2012 at 6:41 am | Permalink
  2. Iron Knee wrote:

    You probably had two copies playing at the same time.

    Friday, September 21, 2012 at 7:59 am | Permalink
  3. Dan wrote:

    whoa,Jon said “plutocratic” another believer! Down with the Plutocracy!
    Fox News would be laughable, but too many people actually drink that kool-aid. Goebbels would be proud.

    Friday, September 21, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink
  4. Solid Muldoon wrote:

    The Daily Show at its best.

    Friday, September 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink
  5. Arthanyel wrote:

    Has everyone noticed that both Stewart and Colbert seem to have visibly lost patience with the Republicans? They use Fox News and the GOP as the foil for much of their humor, but I have noticed the edge getting shraper. It really started when the Romney campaign said “we won’t let our campaign be ruled by fact checking” and has been getting steadily sharper since.

    I REALLY liked Bill Clinton’s observation that when you let your agenda be ruled by ideaology instead of evidence its gets harder and harder to fit the evidence into an argument to support pre-conceived conclusions, and that’s is what has been more visibly happening this campaign. The GOP has had to bend reality so far out of whack to match their talking points that is blindingly obvious to anyone that isn’t already in the same echo chamber.

    And finally, all politicians “lie”, but there is a difference in this election and the last few years. Obama lies like a politician – which means he sets up his opposition’s statements as Straw Men and then lights them, not always caring that the Straw Man is not the actual opposiiton position. Romnwy lies like a murder suspect – hammering away on points he KNOWS are lies and amping the volume when it is pointed out.

    Hopefully we can spend the next four years getting another party / option in play because we can’t run a country this way.

    Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink
  6. Iron Knee wrote:

    It isn’t just Stewart and Colbert. Most of the media seems to have lost patience with the Republicans. I think that is the main reason Romney is going down the tubes.

    In the past, something like Romney’s comments about the 47% would have been downplayed or ignored. Or they would have spent most of the time creating a false equivalence with what Obama said about people clinging to guns and religion. But I think now they are more willing to call them.

    Sunday, September 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink