Joe Biden has a huge opportunity staring him in the face. And it is the same opportunity that Obama utilized for his winning coalition, when he brought many of his competing Democrats (and some Republicans) into his administration.
Biden should announce cabinet level (or similar stature) positions for his now-vanquished competition:
- Elizabeth Warren. Is it too much to hope for her as Biden’s VP? I know the conventional wisdom is that his VP will be a black woman, but he has demonstrated that he already has strong support from the black community. Instead, he really needs someone who can help him with the progressive vote, and Warren will definitely help with that. Plus Warren has shown that she was a great attack dog against Bloomberg, and that could really help against Trump.
- Amy Klobuchar. She was one of the best debaters, but for some reason she never took off. She would be a great cabinet member, and a strong campaigner for Biden.
- Pete Buttigieg. Super smart, young, and would help bring in the LGBTQ vote. And the Democratic party would benefit by giving this rising star a role that would provide him experience and attention.
- Julian Castro. Sanders is strong with Latinos, and this might help blunt that.
- Maybe even Mike Bloomberg, as Trump is clearly afraid of him, and he has shown he can attack Trump with impunity and do damage.
Comments? Anyone else? Any (presumably never-Trump) Republicans who would be a good addition?