This segment by James Corden is incredibly powerful. I hope everyone watches it — in its entirety.
There are some signs for hope that change is coming:
- The chief of police for Schenectady, NY does the right thing. He not only talks frankly with protesters, he marches with them and takes a knee for George Floyd, saying Black Lives Matter.
- The town of Ferguson MO elects their first black (and female) mayor, six years after events there launched the Black Lives Matter movement.
- In yesterday’s primary, Iowa Republicans vote down congressman Steve King, who has a long history of racism.
- Former GOP administration staff form a SuperPAC to defeat Trump.
- Donald Trump’s use of tear gas, rubber bullets, and flash-bang explosives against peaceful protesters in order to stage a photo-op draws condemnation, including from a few brave Republican politicians, former politicians (including former president George W. Bush), religious leaders (including Pat Robertson), military leaders, and conservatives.
- Facebook employees stage a virtual walkout protesting inaction by the social media giant against posts by Trump that incite violence.